Dear Goodness, WHAT is that MESS?!?

Monday, December 17, 2012

Budget Ballet Backpacks, or How to Make a Little Dancer's Eyes Light Up on Christmas

I'm a person who'd rather spend time than money. Not that I have excess time; it's just more readily available these days. So Christmas usually means I put on my thinking cap (a striped beanie with a red propeller) and rummage through the Stuff Stash. I have a few kids of my own, and several nephews and nieces, so it's always a long rummage.It's always been fun to pull out long-forgotten bits of fabric or trimming and consider what they might become. Over the years I've turned out a few princess dresses, "board" games made of fabric--still in use!, dolls, stuffed animals, all sorts of things. My sister says she never knows what to expect when her kids open presents from me. I choose to call that a compliment.

This year I spied a bolt of gorgeous white and gold fabric I had bought with visions of re-creating something from the 1770s. (Dreams, mere dreams.) And I remembered I had thought of making pillowcase backpacks for my nieces and daughter. The idea that came to mind was slightly more elaborate than pillowcases, though. That fabric was perfect for suggesting the elaborate leotard-and-tutu ballet costumes most little girls love. So, ballerina backpacks were in the works.

Backpacks are easy--trace a circle for the bottom; measure the circumference (geometry is FAR more useful than my math teachers ever let on); cut out a panel equal in length to the bottom's circumference and twelve inches in height; measure and make straps. Sew  the two short sides if the backpack body together; attach straps; sew on bottom; repeat with lining, then attach a closing system. I'm not going into the technical stuff here. better, more detailed instructions can be found all over the web.

The fun part in this case was the decorating. I have boxes of fancy scraps--too sheer, lacy, or satiny to be used in quilts, and not large enough to be used in clothes. I label them as "fancy costume" and hope to use them some day--and their day came a-callin'. Each backpack has a fancy center panel, lace trim with a ribbon draw-string closing, and beads, sequins, or gems for added interest. The part that gets the concept across, though, is the tutu on the bottom of the pack. I used tulle-on-a-spool, usually used for decorating weddings. (It's always the details that make things special, no?) I admit I had to buy the tulle; not even I have everything I could possibly need. But the results were totally worth it. The backpack itself suggests the ballerina's body (if the ballerina were a pudgy five-year-old. It could happen!), and the tulle floats just like ballet costumes do.

Two specimens:



(These went to Canada. Maybe I should have sewn an anorak on each one, just for fun.)

Ultimately, I made eight of these packs. each one took around three hours to make--with the greatest time going into the decorating and tutu-making. (I will go on record as saying tulle is a PAIN to work with slippery, stretchy stuff.) I hope the girls like them on Christmas morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment