Dear Goodness, WHAT is that MESS?!?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The First Project

It's not like I've never worked on projects from the studio (hahahaha). I do, frequently--mostly during the sewing seasons: Christmas and Back-to-School. But the rest of the time the studio (hahahaha) is a dumping ground. "Where should I put this whatchamacallit?" "In the Studio! Hahahahahaha." Once a year or so I valiantly try to organize the  space--but where DOES one put the scrapbook paper, the red and green fuzzy pompoms, the odd snippets of ribbon, and the approximately 659 sewing patterns (few of which I use, and all of which I alter.)? Not to mention the costumes saved from a checkered past of dance recitals, Halloweens, and bargain finds. (Need a Dino-bot costume made from duct tape and bubblewrap? How about a good replica of a Regency-period dress for your Jane Austen-obsessed teen? I have both.)

But NO MORE! My sweet (and persuadable) husband agrees it's time to switch the locations of the kids' playroom and my studio (hahahahaha). That means more space for me and my stash! I could move it all now--boxes and boxes of miscellaneous stuff, variable in its usefulness and desirability. Or I can clean it out by putting as much of it to use as possible, and moving the rest when the chaos has been somewhat tamed. What would you do?

And have I mentioned that I'm frugal? Practical with money to the point where I not only count my pennies, I actually roll them up in those little paper tubes and take them to the bank. ($23 and counting!) So I'm into using what I already have on hand, buying as little possible to complete each project. New thread? fine. New fabric? Nope. Unless it's a major bargain. Adapt and overcome, people.

So, on to the project. My daughter, Elle, was starting back to school. Apparently, the average American family spends about $800 on clothes right before school starts. ULP! I want my daughter to look fabulous--still, let's face it, kids grow out of clothes, but before that they play in the sand during recess, paint during art, and eat spaghetti at lunchtime. $800 for things that are essentially drop cloths for educational endeavors. So I sew. Not with expensive patterns and fashion fabrics. (Hello Kitty must be raking in the dough, judging by the prices on "character prints" at the fabric store.) I use what I already have--even if it means using fabric previously used in a project of an entirely different purpose.



The main cherry and daisy fabric was given to me by my sister, who had used the bulk of it making bulletin boards a few years back. The large red and white polka dot was left over from Elle's Minnie Mouse Halloween costume from last year. The yellow was a snip left over from a quilt. I did buy the checked fabric I used as bias trim at armscye and hem. It was a remnant, and cost two dollars; I still have some left. The best part, to my mind, was the pattern. It had belonged to the lady who lived across from us when I was a child, then she had given it to a lady down the street, who gave it to me a few years ago. Vintage '70s pattern, free. Call this project a pass-along jumper, if you will.

Project cost:
red and white check fabric--$2
elastic (I always need more)--$2.19 (but I only used 12 inches total)
Total:                                     $4.19 (with both fabric and elastic left over)


THAT'S a provident project!

No comments:

Post a Comment